Monday, September 3, 2012

Toddler Muffins

I have a recipe on Pinterest that I pinned from Allrecipes.com a lifetime ago called Toddler Muffins. Every time I saw the pin I would tell myself that I needed to make them. I even bought the ingredients a few weeks ago and never made time to do it. Well, that has all changed! Busy and I finally made the muffins and boy are they good! What's even better is that they have some hidden good for you ingredients. I hesitated, at first, let her help me because I didn't want her seeing what went in them :) I figured I could turn it into a healthy eating lesson, so we got everything together and dove in.

So, this is what you need and what you need to do:


What you need:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, or to taste
  • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) jar baby food squash (or you could puree fresh squash) *I pureed my own
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

What you need to do:

  1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 24 mini muffin cups or 12 standard muffin cups.
  2. In a mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the mashed bananas, squash, carrots, and eggs. Stir in the flour, oats, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until just combined. Spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin cups.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Store at room temperature for up to two days, or freeze.
The finished product! YUM!

They were really good! The entire family ate them and although it says you can freeze them, they didn't last longer that a couple of days :)


No comments:

Post a Comment