Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Jack-O-Lantern Oranges

You can now see them on almost every doorstep of houses with children, they come in all sizes and now, they don't even have to made out of pumpkins. That's right. Jack-O-Lanterns!!! You can make them happy, scary or silly and they can be impersonators of your favorite character or be carved with any scene. And you can't possibly have a Halloween themed party or meal without one! Which brings me to the ones that I made last night for Beansie's school teacher appreciation brunch. I made them last year but decided to get a little more detailed this time around. Last year I used a black sharpie marker to draw on the face, but this year I used a knife to "carve" the face.

I cut the top off, scraped out the orange insides, rinsed them, carved them and filled them with fruit like blueberries, raspberries, bananas, grapes and pineapple. Put the top back on and serve chilled. This was my own idea from last year, but I have recently seen this on Pinterest that puts a slit in the top and puts a small green spoon through (like a stem, I guess). 

disclosure: getting the orange insides is harder than it seems and takes the most time. Otherwise, this is super easy and would be super cute to send to school for a snack :)

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! Knox so loves pumpkins this is a great year round treat for us. Maybe it will even encourage him to eat something decent

    ReplyDelete