Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Painted Pumpkins


It's fall and almost Halloween so naturally, it's pumpkin decorating time! You can carve them, put Mr. Potato Head parts in them, dress them up or PAINT THEM!!! We love painting pumpkins (and carving them, and putting Mr. Potato Head parts in them and dressing them up - and we will get to that in a later post). But until then, this is what Busy has been working on for a few days (patience is a virtue.) We usually break out the paint and brushes, but this year I saw a good idea over at In Lieu of Preschool and decided to try it out.

This is how it starts:


We picked a pumpkin with a nice long stem to create a good "slide" for the paint and put it on a cinder block on a towel in a baby pool. The last time I spray painted something, I got it all over the patio concrete and the hubs was not impressed. Oops. This way I covered all my bases. 
Spray paint the pumpkin with orange spray paint so the regular paint has a better surface to stick to. After it dries, let the fun begin! 


It was really cool to see all of the colors running together.
I'm not one to miss a teaching opportunity so we talked about gravity. (I know my teacher friends are laughing at me now). 




Once the paint has dried (it took a good two days for some reason) I spray painted it with water resistant spray since we are keeping it outside.

 Busy had a great time letting the paint drip all over the pumpkin! It made really cool puddles of paint on the towel and with the metallic paint it looked holographic. I think we may try another one with non metallic paints as well.

And this is our Mr Potato Head parts pumpkin :)





No comments:

Post a Comment