These are our Quiet Boxes. I made one for each day of the week Monday-Friday with the intention of making Saturdays and Sundays either a free choice or quiet time with mommy and daddy. I got the boxes from the dollar store and used packing tape on labeled card stock for the days of the week.
|fishing game from the dollar store|
|letter building foam blocks with book|
|Felt dinosaur scene|
|Color Wonder markers and book|
Today was day 4 of the new quiet boxes and all seems to be going well, so far. She actually fell asleep Monday and Tuesday after playing with the boxes :)
- Put enough in each box to keep her interested (and quiet), but not too much. You don't want it to be overwhelming.
- Choose items that don't make noise. It is quiet time, after all.
- Try not to choose _ items unless you are willing to replace them when needed.
- Make sure you have a little time to show how to use each item in the box. I sat down with Busy at the beginning of rest time and went over the appropriate way to play with and use each item.
- You also need to go over the box rules, then review those rules before each rest time (at least for the first week or so depending on the child) Our rules include where she can use the box and what to do with it when she is finished with it.
- I'm thinking I may need an "extras" box so I can rotate some box items to keep her interested.