- 2 cups of raw sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons of maple syrup (you can substitute with honey or agave)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons of vegetable oil (optional for smoothness)
- 1/2 cup of milk (dairy or non dairy)
What To Do
- In a medium non-stick pan, toast sunflower seeds on medium high heat. Still frequently to avoid burning.
- Spread out seeds on a cookie sheet to cool.
- In the Vitamix (or food processor) process the seeds down until the seeds have become a thick, creamy butter (you will need to scrape sides as you go to mix uniformly)
- Add remainder of ingredients until smooth and creamy
- Store in an ait-tight container in the fridge for up to a week (I promise it will be gone before then)
I'm telling you, this woman is a genus! This stuff is delicious and both kids love it! You can serve it cold or heat it up a bit and we eat it with apple slices, pear slices, bananas, and pretzels! And it's especially great for us because where Busy can pack peanut butter in her lunch, the Beans can't. This is a great nut free alternative!! And if you call it chocolate, they totally buy it ;)