Monday, April 14, 2014

How We Do Easter Eggs

I have absolutely nothing against your store bought Easter egg dye. In fact, we have dyed eggs with the vinegar and tablet mixture every year. But there really is nothing quite like how my brother and I used to decorate eggs…with some good ole fashion water colors! I know, it's shocking that I am writing yet another post about water colors, but we LOVE liquid water colors!! But in this art activity, the water colors aren't even the best part. The best part of egg decorating for me is the egg blowing. You don't hear much about this step in the process anymore, but it's the best. I remember as a kid thinking that this part was the most important part, and that made me important :) So this year we pulled out the eggs, blew them out, painted them pretty and put them on display. I hope you try it!!





What You Need:
  • eggs
  • the egg carton 
  • a nail (or something with a sharp point)
  • liquid water colors
  • paint brush
  • white crayon (optional)

What To Do:
1. Tap a small hole in the top and bottom of all the eggs.
2. Blow all of the insides out in the sink.


3. set out all of your paints and brushed while the 
eggs are drying from the blowing process. 

 4. Carefully so not to break the eggs, paint them however you like!



 5. While the kids were painting, I heated a white crayon in the oven
on 350 degrees for a few minutes on parchment paper. When I took out the crayon,
I let it cool for a few seconds and let them color on a few eggs (and we rolled one of 
the eggs in the melted crayon drippings on the paper). I thought of this idea because
of the activity we just did with melted crayons on wood.

This is Busy's melted crayon egg
My favorite melted crayon egg


Another melted crayon egg that Busy rolled around
in the paint tray.



 6. As they finish an egg, place them in the egg carton to dry.

7. Once dry, we placed them in the kitchen window to enjoy!! 



I am totally in love with how these turned out!! And remember, the Beans is not quite 2 and a half. 
If you show them how and let them try, they can do it! And worse case scenario, the egg breaks!! Just use the shells of the broken ones to make an Easter egg collage! Glue the shells to paper then once dry, paint the shells! There is no such thing as "I messed up." You can always make an "oops" into something special ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment