Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Family Command Center

I (and my house) am a work in progress and I am always open to change and growth. If you stay the same, you can never become better. And as good as you think you are, no one is perfect. That would be boring ;) So with that said, I am admitting that I am always changing things in and around my house to find the best way things work for my family. And I have found that what works now, probably won't work forever...

When we first moved into our new house back in November, I set up this area for cubbies, shoe boxes, brain work and chore charts. It worked fine at first, but I'm not a fan of "fine." I began brainstorming about where the ideal "home base" would be for our mail, calendar, chore charts and other family things could go. I thought about the unfinished mudroom and the entryway of our house, but I felt as though I needed everything to be in a more central location where we could see all of it everyday/all the time. Because let's be honest, out of sight, out of mind. So that's when I turned to the kitchen. I tried imagining everything in various places, but with TONS of cabinet storage (trust me, I am not complaining), there is limited wall space. Then my mind decided on the fridge. Duh, right? It makes the most sense anyway. It's magnetic and has a lot of surface space to work with, and it's pretty :) 

I began with a blank slate. I cleared everything off the side of the fridge and began mapping out where everything could go. I was working with a few things that HAD to be there and some things that could come and go. Once I got everything where I wanted it, I began tweaking. And tweaking. And then I tweaked it all again. Some stuff got moved to the left side and some to the right. Mostly the kids stuff is on the left because they see that side without even trying, and the right side is more of the adult side. This is how it all looks…for now ;)


1. This is our Summer Schedule :) I got the idea here and the kids love checking it every morning to see what we will be up to that day. 

2. Our mail slot is a place for me to put all of Super Dad's mail so I can't be accused of losing anything important ;)

3. Even in the world we live in today with e-calenders and iPhones, I still have to have a hard copy calendar! Looking at my month like this helps me keep things straight in my head. 


1. These are on the right side of the fridge as well. I get these little magnetic note pads in the dollar bin at Target. I use them to jot down quick notes, make a grocery list or write an "I love you" and leave them in the kid's lunch boxes :)

2. I saw this idea way back when, and knew I had to make one. Busy has used it a few times on her own. She decides to do all of them in order, and loves the E. I will walk in and find her doing jumping jacks or sit ups or yoga :) But to be honest, she is really good about not getting bored in the first place. 

3. The kid's chore charts are here now instead of in their cubbies. I love them here with everything else!







3 comments:

  1. Great command centre. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to join the link party!! I popped in on your blog and I am totally in love with your Family Packing LIst! I am going to use it on our next trip (the extras/other column will be to make a list of art items we need to take :) See you Friday!!

      Delete
    2. Aww I am happy you enjoyed my family packing list and that you are going to use it. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

      Delete