Oh, I cannot quite fully express how much I love the holiday season! I love everything about this time of year!! From Santa and the Elf on the Shelf to the lights and trees to the songs and the smells. And there is nothing quite so magical than Christmas through the eyes of a child :) This year my kids wanted a hand in every aspect of decorating for the season. And we started with the tree. They decided that they wanted every single ornament on the tree to be handmade and I love that idea!! So we started with some good ole' salt dough ornaments and paint...
What you need:
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- straw for poking hanging holes
- cookie cutters
- yarn or ribbon
What to do:
1. Mix together until dough forms then knead for 7 minutes
2. Use cookie cutters to make shapes
3. Poke a hole with a straw so you can hang them.
4. Bake ornaments on an un-greased cookie sheet at 250 degrees for 2 hours
5. Let them cool completely before painting then let the paint dry before hanging them.
|Family painting is one of my favorite activities :)|
|We put ribbon through the holes to hang the ornaments.|
They also hung some handmade ornaments they made at school last year (the CD) and this year (the red tree - made with applesauce!)